Upward Basketball 2017-18
Upward is a program designed to give boys and girls and their families a positive sports experience by partnering with local churches to promote salvation and build character and self-esteem. The season will incorporate practices, games, devotions, and a celebration event at the end of the season. The emphasis is on spiritual growth, Christian character development, and the enjoyment of sports. Upward Basketball offers a non-competitive, non-threatening environment where every player gets equal playing time throughout the season. We welcome all Kindergarten through 6th grade boys and girls in the greater Fredericksburg area! Upward is a national organization that you can learn more about at their website: upward.org
Online Registration (Preferred)
- If you registered online last year, your account is still active and your player information is still on record: simply log back in to select a Division and sign up for the new season! (if you forgot your password, click “forgot password”, and they will e-mail it right back to you.)
- If you are new to the online registration service, it only takes a few minutes to establish an account and enter your player information, and then you can select a Division and sign up your players!
Brochure forms are available for pick-up and drop-off at all partner churches: Spotswood Baptist Church (preferred drop-off: mailing address listed on the registration form), Salem Baptist Church, Ferry Farm Baptist Church & Fredericksburg Baptist Church.
Early registration fee is $75. After December 3rd, the fee is $85
All pre-registration closes midnight Sunday, December 3. (Online registration will close, and all final paper registrations will be collected after church)
In-person walk-in registrations will be accepted at Evaluation Day, Saturday, December 9
FINAL (late) REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Saturday, December 9, in-person at Evaluation Day
Every Upward Basketball player will receive:
- Reversible Upward Basketball Jersey
- Reversible Upward Basketball Shorts
- Upward Basketball T-Shirt
- Upward Basketball Car Magnet
- Award Stars
- End of the season award
- An amazing sports experience!
- Evaluation Day: December 9, 2016
Each child is evaluated in a low-pressure environment (it is NOT a “tryout”) so that we can assess their skills. This assessment helps us build equally-matched teams to ensure fair competition for every team. It also helps the coaches ensure that each child is matched up on the court against a player of similar skill level, to ensure fair competition and an enjoyable sports experience for every child. Players should wear athletic clothes and clean court shoes.
Where: Salem Baptist Church, 4044 Plank Road (Rt. 3 at Salem Church Road)
Day: Saturday, December 9
Time: 9:00A to 3:00P.
– Last Name A through K (morning): anytime between 9:00A to 12:00P
– Last Name K through Z (afternoon): anytime between 12:00P to 3:00P
Your evaluation should take about 30-45 minutes, depending on volume. (if you arrive at 9:00 am, expect higher volume).
Everyone must attend one basketball evaluation. Make-up date to be determined if needed. Observing the time slots listed above will help improve the efficiency of the event, but if you have a schedule conflict during your time slot, feel free to arrive anytime during the day. Each child’s evaluation itself should take about 10-15 minutes, plus wait time, hopefully no more than an hour total, depending on volume.
- Coach/Ref Training Clinic: Tuesday, 11 December, 6p – 8:30p, at Spotswood Baptist Church (FREE pizza dinner!)
- Practices Begin -Saturday, January 6
- First Game – Saturday, January 20
- Last Game – Saturday, March 10
- Awards Celebration – Monday, March 19
Game & Practice Locations
Your practices and games may be held at any of these partner host churches:
- Salem Baptist Church
- Ferry Farm Baptist Church
- **Additional location TBD**
(Each team will practice one night each week, always on the same night, at the same time and at the same location. Each team will play one game each week on Saturday, always at the same location, but game times vary. For many teams, their weeknight practice location will be different than their Saturday game location.)
Team Schedules will be published in late December.
The mission of Upward is “To Introduce Children to Jesus Christ by Creating Opportunities to Serve Through Sports!” The ministry is in need of the following volunteers:
- Evaluation Day workers
- Prayer Captain and partners
- Coaches & Referees: Thank you for ministering with us! You are the HEART of Upward! Your volunteer process has two parts.
- Download the Coach/Ref Application Form. Early application will help us honor your scheduling preferences. mail or drop off signed forms at the church office of any of our partner churches (above).
- Have a background check completed. Please use this link to start the process. Your background check is good for three years.
- Equipment manager(s)
- People to share game-day half-time devotions
- Score keepers
- Picture Day coordination
- Upward provides detailed information and resources for all Volunteers at the following website (scroll to bottom): www.myupward.org